Ian McKellen Apologizes for Controversial Comments on Kevin Spacey and Bryan Singer's Alleged Abuse

PEOPLE.com | 3/2/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/kevin-spacey-ian-mckellan-bryan-singer.jpg?crop=0px,0px,2700px,1417.5px&resize=1200,630

Ian McKellen is apologizing after he made controversial comments about the sexual assault allegations that have been leveled against Kevin Spacey and Bryan Singer.

The 79-year-old actor released a statement on Twitter on Saturday, saying that his comments were “wrong.”

Part - Podcast - People - Sexuality - Others

“As part of an extended podcast recently, I suggested that if closeted people were instead open about their sexuality they wouldn’t abuse others. That, of course, is wrong,” he wrote. “My intention was to encourage the LGBT audience I was addressing, to be proud and open about their sexuality. In doing so, my point was clumsily expressed. I would never, ever trivialise or condone abuse of any kind.”

“When it comes to abuse by people in positions of power, the correct response is clear,” McKellen continued. “The accusers must be heard and the accused given the opportunity to clear their names. If the accusations prove credible, the abuser’s access to power should be removed.”

Recording - QueerAF - Podcast - Actor - Share

During a recent live recording of the #QueerAF podcast, the actor was asked to share his thoughts on the #MeToo movement, with the interviewer specifically mentioning Spacey and Singer, both of whom McKellen has worked with in the past.

“With the couple of names you mentioned of people I worked with, both of them were in the closet,” the openly gay actor said. “Hence all their problems as people and their relationship with other people. If they had been able to be open about themselves and their desires, they wouldn’t have started abusing people in the way they’re being accused.”

MAE - WHITMAN - FONDLY - REMEMBERS - ON

MAE WHITMAN FONDLY REMEMBERS 'SITTING ON GEORGE CLOONEY'S SHOULDERS' IN 'ONE FINE DAY'

Spacey, 59, who previously served as the artistic director at London’s Old Vic theatre, came out as gay in October of last year, after Anthony Rapp accused the actor of making inappropriate sexual advances toward him when Rapp was 14...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!