Remembering My Classic Picturephone Bit

The Rush Limbaugh Show | 3/1/2019 | George Prayias
yana.booyana.boo (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/APP-030119-Picturephone.jpg

RUSH: Out of the blue today I’m reading my tech blogs, and there are a couple of items going up for auction somewhere that date back to the 1970s, the very first AT&T picturephone. Now, you may say, well, what’s the big deal about that? It’s because I was in Pittsburgh when this happened in 1972, and I constructed a full week-long bit about having one of these installed in my studio. And I had a guy come in, pretend to be the AT&T installer. And it went on for a week.

It was one of the most fun things I did, and I’d totally forgotten about it. So I’m thinking maybe I can relive this — not do the bit, just tell you about it. Because it was hilarious, some of the things that we set up. Because we knew the audience would not believe that I had — for example, here’s what I did. I announced that I had formed a partnership, back then it was Ma Bell. I had formed a partnership with Ma Bell to be first the testify the new picturephone and that we were gonna spend the weekend — this was a Friday — we were gonna spend the weekend installing and then Monday we would try to start using the thing, all in cooperation with Ma Bell.

Program - O'clock - Morning - Street - Gimbels

So the program ended at 10 o’clock in the morning. I went across the street. There was a Gimbels department store. Do you remember this story? You remember Gimbels? Gimbels doesn’t exist anymore, but it was like a Macy’s. I went to the lingerie department, and I just made mental notes of the layout of everything and the woman, the staff working there and what she was wearing and as much as I could remember. I made myself...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Rush Limbaugh Show
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Government, where everything works great, until something has to work.
Tagged: