The knitting community is reckoning with racism

Vox | 2/25/2019 | Staff
shankay (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/8uIY2qcIkQrW68Bek5BlZq9Xdnk=/0x322:4500x2678/fit-in/1200x630/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/14144486/GettyImages_802751790.jpg

View this post on Instagram

My teeswater socks are finished. Knitting is like a friend that comes with you on a trip, and it's been a mad trip since I began these socks. Lots of growth and learning were involved. I don't know how I feel about the teeswater, it's not as springy/elastic a yarn as I'm used to. I thought it was a good idea at the time to knit lace socks on the tighter side, but they feel really weird. I'm still going to wear them to death, of course. As for the non-fibre side of things, I wrote a blog post that you can find via my bio. It's called Why Sydney is Cancelled; a lot of feelings about everything that's happened so far, about the Gillette article (which is what I'm calling it now, thanks to @hellomister) and how the Sydney community makes me feel (spoiler: let down). . {Image description. My feet in off-white, too-tight socks with two lace panels down the front and all around the leg. The second photo is the same, with more of the heel and gusset visible. The background is white.} . Pattern is #southernbellesocks by Elizabeth Ravenswood, published in Knitting Socks From Around the World.

A post shared by Sukrita (@su.krita) on

#TBT to some warmer, kinder weather🌿. These skeins are the results of playing around with red elderberry leaves on different bases... I think the differences make them more interesting and beautiful. (Hmmmm, now what does that remind me of??) Gonna leave a little #diversknitty tag right here... ➰ Speaking of, I am always on the lookout for collaborations (want to sample knit? Need yarn support? Yarn producer?) with folks from diverse backgrounds/orientations/abilities. Our rejection of hate and embrace of other’s experiences can only make us stronger. ❤️ ➰ February tomorrow folks. Lots planned! Did your January go 🐢 or 🐆? . . . . . #knitfresh #plantdyedyarn #yarniesofinstagram #naturallydyedyarn #ihavethisthingwithyarn #mnmaker #knitterslife #knitterforlife #knittersoninstagram #yarnlovers #representationmatters #yarnlife #yarnobsessed #makercommunity #slowcraft #knittingyarn #knittingtherapy #knittersofravelry #yarnlover #strongertogether #yarnstagram #indieyarns #stricken #slowfashionmovement #gardenyarn #tricoter #knittersofinstagram #knittyvet

A post shared by Kendra 🌿 Plant Dyed Yarn (@knittyvet) on

Most mornings I race my son to see if I can wake up before him and get in a few rows on my WIPs. I’ve been trying to carve out a few moments of calm everyday so that I can move through the busy moments with the best version of myself, with the most positive energy I have. I’m not always successful. Sometimes Milo wakes up screaming before I even have a chance to roll over and snooze my alarm. But today he woke up laughing and I was calmly sitting there knitting and waiting for him. It felt like a huge win 💙. . Wishing everyone a few calm moments of knitting during this busy holiday week. Can’t wait to see how you’re all celebrating 🥳. . Yarn: @hypothesisyarns Pattern: @petiteknit . #make #knit #yarnaddict #thatsdarling #knittersofinstagram #sweaterweather #ourmakerlife #diy #handmade #mohair #saturday #weekend #blue #cozy #fashion #ootd #love

A post shared by La Reserve Design [Alison] (@la.reserve.design) on

Hands like ice, but warmth radiates everywhere else. I’m in my happy place, contemplating my fast approaching, Sunday birthday, knitwear and yarn as far as the eye can see. Nuzzled at my core, a #beecozy hot water bottle cover knit for my mom, fingers crossed that she’ll like it. I’m not sure what came over me, but I cast this one on and finished it in under 7 hours which is a big deal for a slowish knitter like me, and can we just talk about the colour, I dyed this Falkland-island merino with camomile flowers.☺️(Designed by @woolandhoney pattern gifted from @smithheatherm 💛 also wearing my Crop top design, #orchardgrassstole from @woolful knit out of @alafoss #einband & working on my #balloonsweater by @petiteknit with my botanically dyed yarn! whew! ✨)

A post shared by 𝓞𝓬𝓮𝓪𝓷 ☼ 𝓑𝓸𝓽𝓪𝓷𝓲𝓬𝓪𝓵 𝓭𝔂𝓮𝓻 (@ocean_bythesea) on

Karen Templer’s Fringe Association Co. is kind of like Goop for knitting. There are tips and how-tos for navigating knitting’s trickier maneuvers. There are knit-alongs for chunky cowls and cute fingerless gloves. There’s an online store that sells the Fringe bag, which has come to be known in some circles as the Birkin of knitting bags. And there’s the blog where Templer puts her personal thoughts.

On January 7, she blogged excitedly about her upcoming trip to India. She wrote that 2019 would be her “year of color.” She said that as a child, India had fascinated her, and that when an Indian friend’s parents offered to take her with them on a trip, it was “like being offered a seat on a flight to Mars.” She spoke of her trip as if it were the biggest hurdle anyone could jump: “If I can go to India, I can do anything — I’m pretty sure.” Templer, it should be noted, is white.

Someone - Post - Bingo - Conversation - Person

As someone who is mixed-race Indian, to me, her post (though seemingly well-meaning) was like bingo for every conversation a white person has ever had with me about their “fascination” with my dad’s home country; it was just so colorful and complex and inspiring. It’s not that they were wrong, per se, just that the tone felt like they thought India only existed to be all those things for them.

The initial comments on Templer’s blog post were supportive, but quickly, knitters and fans began to criticize her tone. “Karen, I’d ask you to re-read what you wrote and think about how your words feed into a colonial/imperialist mindset toward India and other non-Western countries,” wrote commenter Alex. “Multiple times you compare the idea of going to India to the idea of going to another planet — how do you think...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Vox
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sorry Mr. Franklin, we couldn't keep it.