The future of AR, according to Microsoft

CNET | 2/28/2019 | Scott Stein,
joyy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/IRka7v6dNNP2lLh3HU0piNnfltA=/724x407/2019/02/18/cfeff8bf-2243-4741-bfc7-31f90641c977/microsoft-msft-hololens-2-alex-kipman-portrait-2447.jpg

The HoloLens 2 reboots augmented reality for Microsoft. It's got a new fit, larger field of view, and adds detailed hand and eye tracking. But one thing it's still not is a consumer device.

Alex Kipman is Microsoft's Technical Fellow and inventor of the Kinect and the HoloLens. During a visit to Microsoft's Redmond campus to try the HoloLens 2 before its debut, we were able to talk to Kipman about his ongoing vision for where computing is headed, what HoloLens is becoming, and how far away we are from a future where everyday people are actually wearing advanced AR headsets.

Kipman - Microsoft - Headsets - HoloLens - Devices

To Kipman, and Microsoft, headsets like the HoloLens are one of many devices where sensors that digest the world with AI will be worn. As Kipman says, on a headset, it's the HoloLens. In a home, it's a smart camera. On a car or drone, it's an autonomous vehicle. This time, HoloLens 2 aims to connect its AR experiences in the cloud to other devices, including iOS and Android, and feel more like a work tool than ever.

But when will that magic augmented world become something for the rest of us?

Version - Conversation - Video - Interview - Kipman

An edited version of our conversation plus a video interview with Kipman are below, from when CNET spoke to him January 31, 2019.

How much of these technologies is the general consumer going to see in the short term?

Interest - Bunch - People - Things - Consumer

I have no interest in overhyping, and having a bunch of people think these things are consumer products. And then ... get to the trough of disillusionment when people are like, "my God, I'm not using this instead of a PC, instead of a phone, instead of a television." These devices need to be more comfortable, they need to become more immersive, and ultimately they need to have more value-to-price ratio. There is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: