David S. Goyer’s ‘Masters of the Universe’ Would Have Been a ‘Lord of the Rings’-Sized Epic

/Film | 2/26/2019 | Ethan Anderton
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/masters-of-the-universe-director.jpg

Sony Pictures is still trying to make a Masters of the Universe movie despite a decade of development ****. The power of brand recognition is strong in Hollywood, and the studio has their eyes on making a fantasy action blockbuster franchise out of the popular He-Man toyline and cartoon. However, the vision that writer/director David S. Goyer had was too expensive for Sony to bring to life, and one of the creature designers hired to work on that iteration of Masters of the Universe has recently teased some details about what we’ll be missing out on.

Carlos Huante is a creature designer and former artist at Industrial Light and Magic. He’s worked on films like Men in Black, War of the Worlds, Prometheus and more. Coincidentally enough, before he got into creature design and visual effects, Huante worked as a runner at Filmation on the original He-Man cartoon series. And then he was enlisted to help make David S. Goyer’s Masters of the Universe happen. Unfortunately, it sounds like we won’t get to see the full force of what Goyer intended to make.

Huante - HN - Entertainment - Masters - Universe

Huante sat down with HN Entertainment to briefly discuss the Masters of the Universe project he left behind once Goyer walked away from the project. He was working behind the scenes for several weeks on the film and thought the script was really good, “This one was fun and it made the world more fantastic than I thought it could go. It felt arty and fantastical at the same time.”

And the scale of the project sounds like it would have been truly epic. Huante explained:

Story - Greyskull - Sort - Thing

“I’m not going to talk too much about it, I know they’re making it still. But I’ll tell you it was… just the story of Greyskull and that sort of thing and there was some...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!