Dusk or Hope Happens (Langston Hughes)

Eidos | 2/21/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/02/132A9554-3378-410B-875C-217EBA32F064.jpeg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/02/132A9554-3378-410B-875C-217EBA32F064-768x404.jpeg

And sometimes not.

But sometimes not.

Chains

And chains be gone!

We can always use hope, maybe more now that at other times, awash as we are in social media highlighting all that is bad, false, and ugly. Worse mayhaps is consumption of the humbug that social media tempts all of us to make and consume. At times, at least for some of us, the light dims.

Langston - Hughes - Dusk - Poem - Times

Langston Hughes Dusk is a hopeful poem written during even tougher times. Dusk sees the sun retreating and darkness creeping over the world.

There is a golden moment when all is beautiful and a person is tempted to go wandering, but walk too far in the woods and suddenly the gold is gone and shadows fall. It is easy to get lost and with my bad vision, not hard to crash into a branch.

Experience - Dusk - Boy - Dusk - Woods

I know all of this from experience having been lost at dusk literally and metaphorically. When I was a boy, I got lost at dusk in the woods near Granny’s house, tempted by the last sun of a long summer afternoon. One moment was golden sunset hour and the next a darkling wood.

Which way? I wanted to go home, but suddenly realized that if I went the wrong way, the woods on that ridge went on for miles.

Dusk - Lights - Setting - Sun - Worst

Maybe. Or maybe that is what I thought. I was lost in the dusk and there were no lights but the setting sun. Worst was knowing that I had no idea which way to go and so chances were, walking was making things worse not better. In school they told me when I was lost just to “stand still and wait.” That was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!