Barack Obama slams hip-hop and rap music for promoting toxic masculinity

Mail Online | 2/20/2019 | Marlene Lenthang For Dailymail.com
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/20/20/10063538-0-image-a-22_1550695761328.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/02/20/4406843695919220320/1024x576_MP4_4406843695919220320.mp4

Barack Obama is slamming hip-hop and rap music for perpetuating stereotypes rooted in toxic masculinity.

The former president took the stage with Steph Curry at the My Brother's Keeper Alliance summit on Tuesday, celebrating the fifth anniversary of the youth support and violence prevention group he created during his time in office.

Man - Stereotypes - Masculinity - 'trap - Men

He spoke about what it means to 'be a man' and how to fight stereotypes of masculinity that 'trap' young men of color and often emerge in hip-hop and rap music.

'If you were very confident about your sexuality, you don't have to have eight women around you twerking,' he joked as the crowd erupted with laughter.

'Let - Face - Lot - Hip - Hop

'Let’s face it, a lot of hip hop and rap music is built around me showing how I got more money than you, I can disrespect you and you can’t do nothing about it, I’m going to talk about you and punk you,' Obama said.

'Ironically, that actually shows the vulnerability that you feel,' he added.

Situation - Pound - Chain - Neck

'Let me say this, if you were really confident about your financial situation you probably aren’t going to be wearing an eight pound chain around your neck,' he said.

Obama then touched on hip-hop's portrayal of male sexuality and brought up the twerking joke adding, 'I've got one woman who I'm very happy with. And she's a strong woman.'

Obama - Speech - 'Michelle - Husband - Curry

Obama hilariously opened his speech introducing himself as 'Michelle's husband' and Curry followed suit introducing himself as 'Ayesha's husband'.

'Racism historically in this society sends a message that you are "less than". We feel we have to compensate by exaggerating stereotypical ways are supposed to act. And that’s a trap,' Obama said at the two-day conference in Oakland, California.

Curry - Mentor - Program - Conversation - Men

Curry, who is a mentor with the program, pushed the conversation further saying men have to be 'open about...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!