The Mod | Is Reality Secular? An Interview With Mary Poplin (Part 3)

Wednesday, 20 Feb 2019

www.whitehorseinn.org | 2/20/2019 | Staff
Caris (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.whitehorseinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Is-Reality-Secular3_1200x628.jpg

In parts one and two of her interview with Modern Reformation’s editor-in-chief, Michael Horton, Dr. Mary Poplin talked about the consequences of ideas, and how the uneasy blend of secularism and spirituality that characterizes popular western religion stands at odds with historic, biblical Christianity. In this third and final section of their discussion, Dr. Horton and Dr. Poplin discuss the best way to talk about the differences between popular secular religion and historical Christianity, the necessity of listening to personal experience before introducing biblical truth, and the wonderful breadth of our identities as Christians.

MP: I think one of the things I realized as a new Christian is that the only safe place for self knowledge is Christianity.

MSH

MSH: What do you mean by that?

MP: If you don’t have a way out, you’ve either got to say “Yeah, I was bad, but everybody else was bad, too,” so there’s no way to really confront the bad things you’ve done. “OK, I did lie about this,” or “I did voluntarily do this to hurt this person, and I knew it was going to hurt this person.” What do you do with that if you’re a secular humanist? If you’re a pantheist, you just have to wait to the next life to work it off, or work it off in this life so you’re not an ant or something.

MSH - Others - Redemption - Listeners - Practice

MSH: You either have to deny it or deflect it onto others because it’s just too overwhelming. There’s no redemption. Help our listeners put this into practice when they’re having conversations—identifying the resurrection is key, but doesn’t it also help to be armed with some of the arguments that you’re talking about here, and some of the explanations of the worldviews that we’re encountering? To ask people who have different worldviews where they got this idea...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.whitehorseinn.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!