If the foldable phones of the future look like this, count me in

CNET | 2/20/2019 | Jason Hiner
marked (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/tKrIM8FcEAHy6XY40nJMldDLqg0=/724x407/2019/02/20/a8450d40-9452-4861-b0b9-278f7a01beb8/nokia-morph-thumb.jpg

I was once at an event with journalists and tech leaders when Nokia showed off an animated video of the most visionary concept of the foldable phone of the future that I've seen. Believe it or not, it was in 2008. The animation featured a ridiculously thin slab of glass that, after you were done sending messages and taking calls, could tri-fold down into a small surface and then fold around your wrist — like a version of today's slap bracelets -- and essentially transform into a smartwatch.

Even among journalists, who are normally about as demonstrative as Secret Service agents, there were audible gasps in the room. These were the days before tech companies planted their own company cheerleaders at conferences and events, so those intakes of breath were real.

Course - June - Apple - IPhone - Lines

Of course, the previous June, Apple had released the iPhone to long lines of eager customers and a lot of general fanfare. The big smartphone leaders of the time — Nokia, BlackBerry, Palm, Motorola, and Microsoft — continued outselling Apple by huge margins. Publicly, they even sometimes tossed dismissive laughter at the iPhone, while privately they were panicked about trying to match Apple.

Nokia's research team produced the most imaginative response to the iPhone with the Nokia "Morph." Of course, the technologies to bring the Morph to life were not nearly advanced enough in 2008. The Morph was mostly science fiction, but the tech industry knows the power of science fiction to inspire real-life products. The foldable OLED displays on phones that we're about to see in the coming weeks and months are an important step forward on that journey.

Foldables - Position - Thing - Mobile - Fact

Foldables have already slipped into pole position as the next big thing in mobile, despite the fact that most of you probably aren't sure why you'd want one at the moment.

While Samsung started...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: