Harvey Weinstein breaks silence – to deny wanting Ben Affleck to play Shakespeare

the Guardian | 2/20/2019 | Catherine Shoard
Harvey Weinstein, the movie producer who was arrested on charges of rape last May is currently on bail, has issued a rare statement rebuffing a detail in a lengthy profile of Gwyneth Paltrow.

In the Variety interview, Paltrow recalls working with Weinstein over the years, including on the multi-Oscar-winning Shakespeare in Love, which triumphed at the Academy Awards 20 years ago. Just before shooting began, Paltrow says, “Harvey wanted Ben Affleck to take over and play Shakespeare. I said, ‘No, you can’t do that. You have to have an English person.’”

Magazine - Film - Director - John - Madden

The magazine says both the film’s director, John Madden, and producer, Donna Gigliotti, had confirmed to them that Weinstein suggested Affleck for the role which went to Joseph Fiennes. Affleck, meanwhile, joined the cast as actor Ned Alleyn.

On Tuesday, Weinstein denied this was the case. “Gwyneth Paltrow is an excellent actor and a fantastic person, who does so well when on the right project,” he said in a statement via his publicist.

Contenders - Role - Will - Shakespeare - Russell

“The only other contenders for the role of Will Shakespeare were Russell Crowe and Ethan Hawke, no one else. Ben Affleck did a terrific job as Ned Alleyn, which is the role he was considered for.”

In the interview, Paltrow, further detailed the alleged incident that led her to join dozens of other women in accusing Weinstein of sexual misconduct in a 2017 New York Times article. “I had one really uncomfortable, weird experience; then he was never inappropriate with me again in that way,” she said, referring to an incident in 1996, when they were working on Emma.

Paltrow - Weinstein - Hotel - Room - Hands

Paltrow says that Weinstein summoned her to his hotel room, put his hands on...
(Excerpt) Read more at: the Guardian
Wake Up To Breaking News!