Nondual Christianity and the Problem of Evil

Carl McColman | 2/20/2019 | Staff
TitanSwimr (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/388/2012/07/shutterstock_131225426.jpg

A reader of one of my previous blog posts sent me this question via Facebook messenger.

I read your article about non dualism Nonduality in the Bible … and us. So what about scriptures about God hating sin, wickedness, evildoers etc… Or am I misunderstanding? Also there’s a lot of scriptures contrasting God as light and Satan/evil as darkness. So how can these be understood in the mindset of nonduality?

Thanks - Question - Look - Nonduality - Concept

Thanks for your question. To answer it, first we need to take a closer look at what nonduality is — and isn’t. Then we need to consider how this concept of nonduality applies to what we see in the Bible — and perhaps even consider how it equips us to read the Bible in a more Christlike way.

To answer this first part of the question: what exactly is “nonduality” — I’m going to draw from probably the best Christian book I know of that attempts to define this concept: The Heart of Centering Prayer: Nondual Christianity in Theory and Practice by Cynthia Bourgeault. Here in a blog post I can only offer a brief description of a Christian understanding of nonduality, so if after reading this post you’re left with more questions, I’d encourage you to read Bourgeault’s book.

Chapter - Heart - Centering - Prayer - Bourgeault

In chapter 1 of The Heart of Centering Prayer, Bourgeault answers the question “What is Nonduality?” first by considering the merits — and limitations — of various definitions of nonduality that can be found in the writings of various Christian spiritual teachers, like Richard Rohr or Raimon Panikkar. She explores nonduality as “the capacity to hold the tension of opposites, rest comfortably in ambiguity, and resist the tendency to demonization and exclusion”; as mystical experience; or as unitive attainment — “a mystical marriage, in which one is fully joined to God in love, subsumed...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Carl McColman
Wake Up To Breaking News!