When I Pray for You: a Parent’s Heartbeat

(in)courage | 2/20/2019 | Staff
gracey (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/02122019_Turner_Prayer-1200x858.jpg

My second child was a little girl, and I joke that she was strong-willed and stubborn from her earliest days in my womb. I was incredibly sick during that pregnancy, throwing up sometimes six times a day. I was hospitalized twice for fluids during my first trimester. It was as awful as it sounds, and some days my only prayer was, Please let me survive this.

At thirty-two weeks, we learned she was breech. We prayed she would turn, but with every check-up, she remained butt down. As the weeks went on and delivery drew near, I did everything trying to force her into the right position, including:

Vegetables - Stomach - Flip - Cold

Placing frozen vegetables on my stomach to try to make her flip away from the cold.

Pointing a flashlight directly on my stomach because some said the light would penetrate, and she would try to move away from it.

Handstands - Swimming - Pool - Spring - Nashville

Handstands in the swimming pool (thankfully, it was a warm spring in Nashville).

My husband, Matthew, talking to my stomach, pleading for her to turn toward his voice.

Chiropractor - Adjustments

Seeing a chiropractor that specialized in prenatal adjustments.

Nothing worked. My stubborn little girl was staying put.

C-section - Cephalic - Version - Procedure - Doctors

I desperately wanted to avoid a C-section, and at thirty-nine-weeks, we were scheduled an external cephalic version, which is a procedure where doctors use a great deal of pressure on a mother’s stomach to flip the baby.

I remember being so anxious about the procedure and praying for a successful outcome. Would it work? Would it hurt? Some risks were involved, and I prayed I hadn’t made the wrong choice choosing this procedure. I opted to have an epidural after a trusted friend and midwife told me that many mothers can’t handle the pain of the procedure, deciding that my desire not to have a C-section trumped my desire to have a drug-free delivery.

Hospital - Room

My hospital room...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: