The Children of Catholic Priests Just Want to Be Acknowledged

ChurchLeaders | 2/19/2019 | Staff
kims (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/CL_Blessing_642x428.jpg

Only two weeks after Pope Francis publicly acknowledged the sexual abuse of nuns at the hands of priests and bishops, the Vatican has confirmed it has a set of internal guidelines for Catholic priests who father children. But despite the fact that the church is aware that some of its priests are having children, its leaders have been slow to acknowledge this problem publicly.

“It soon became apparent that he couldn’t or wouldn’t or wasn’t allowed to be any sort of father to me in any meaningful sense.” She says, “I literally thought I was the only priest child in the world,” and she felt incredibly “isolated.”

Thomas - Website - Coping - International - Site

However, Thomas is far from alone as the website, Coping International, demonstrates. The site provides resources and support for the children of priests and was created by Vincent Doyle. Doyle founded the website after his godfather, an Irish priest, passed away and Doyle discovered that the priest had actually been his biological father.

Doyle says that “the first problem with children of priests is they’re not recognized. When you’re hidden…you are characterized by secrecy.” This secrecy breeds shame and “eats away at their sense of worth.” In addition to providing support, Doyle wants to gather information demonstrating that the children of priests exist and work with the church to bring greater resolution to the situation.

Children - Catholic - Priests - Doyle - Website

While some assume there are not that many children born to Catholic priests, Doyle’s website indicates the opposite. He started the site in December of 2014 without telling anyone about it so that he...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: