Silver Linings of the 2019 Oscar Season — IndieWire Critics Survey

IndieWire | 2/19/2019 | Staff
monna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/9200942a.jpg

This year’s awards season has been… a lot. Kevin Hart. #PresentAll24. “Bohemian Rhapsody.” The list goes on.

But it couldn’t have been all bad, right? The Oscars haven’t happened yet, and so we don’t know if the final verdicts will offer a measure of redemption or make things even worse (mileage will vary!), but possibly maybe there was some upside to be found in the last few months. Maybe a favorite actor finally got their time in the sun, or a certain film was boosted by a nomination? Maybe some of the broader conversations sparked by awards season or the Oscar broadcast itself led / could lead to something positive?

Week - Question - Silver - Lining - Awards

This week’s question: What is one silver lining of the 2019 awards season?

“Black Panther”

Lead-up - Oscars - Kevin - Hart - Host

The lead-up to the Oscars has been shambolic at best; from Kevin Hart to the host scramble, to no females nominated for Best Director. But despite the lack of women nominated in this career-propelling category, there was some positive news out of Hollywood for my gender this year. Variety recently reported that the number of films with female leads hit record levels in 2018. That fact alone is a huge and noteworthy feat for Hollywood, an industry which is – as recent years have proved in a very public fashion – plagued with sexism. One of my favorite films of the year, “A Star is Born,” starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, was nominated for eight Academy Awards. It’s one of many films – along with “The Wife” and “The Favourite” (two other favorites of mine) – with a female lead that was backed by a major studio. Variety reported that from the top 100-grossing films of 2018, 40 of those films had women in the lead role or a co-leading role, as studied by USC’s Annenberg Inclusion Initiative....
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!