What’s More Important for Your Church: Growth or Control?

Pastors.com | 2/19/2019 | Website
Emzah92 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pastors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/photo-1447350152302-65042359f14f.jpg

The church has been on the front lines of some of the greatest humanitarian crises of the past few decades. The church has 2.3 billion people worldwide and is the biggest institution on the planet.

You might look at those numbers and ask yourself, “Why isn’t the church making a bigger impact in the world?”

Reason - People - Congregations - Church - Ministries

I believe one reason is because the most creative people in our congregations must go outside of the church to start new ministries.

Why are they doing this?

Church

Because the church wants to control them.

Instead of working within a church, many of these leaders form a 501(c)(3) to tackle the pressing issues of their communities. Today, there are tens of thousands of nonprofits in America doing what the church did for generations. We’ve structured these ministries right out of the church.

Ministry - Impact - Church - Choice - Control

To broaden the ministry impact of your church, you will need to make the difficult choice to give up control.

You can choose control, or you can choose growth. But you can’t choose both.

Growth - Control - Ways - Someone - Ministry

Choosing growth over control means looking for ways to say yes when someone wants to start a new ministry. I believe most churches need to make it easier for people to start and serve in ministries, but this doesn’t mean I don’t believe there should be standards. I simply believe we shouldn’t bury new ministries with procedures and policies, or committees.

At Saddleback, anyone can start a ministry as long as:

Staff - Principle - Someone - Ministry - Saddleback

1. They don’t expect the staff to run it. I call this the “You’re it” principle. When someone suggests we start a new ministry at Saddleback, I tell them, “Great. You’re it!”

You’re looking for people to own the ministries they’re suggesting; you’re not looking for people who expect someone else to do it. If a person has an idea for a ministry but doesn’t want to lead it,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Pastors.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: