Piles of rubbish fester on a Birmingham street before the city's strike by binmen has even begun! 

Mail Online | 2/19/2019 | Andy Dolan for the Daily Mail
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/18/23/9383970-0-image-a-9_1550532866982.jpg

Piles of rubbish fester in the street… and this was before today's strike by binmen in Birmingham began.

The sacks were seen in the Bordesley Green area of the city at the weekend, a result of binmen refusing to do overtime since December 29 in a dispute about payments.

Union - Unite - Labour-run - City - Council

Their union Unite accused the Labour-run city council of making extra payments to members of the GMB union who chose not to join a 2017 strike.

Earlier this month, Unite announced that it was escalating its latest action and members will strike for two days a week from today.

Move - Time - Council - Image - City

The unwelcome move comes at a time when the council is looking to build and promote a positive image of the city ahead of the 2022 Commonwealth Games, and comes as the Government consults on plans to introduce weekly food waste collections nationwide.

Under plans aimed at standardising household recycling across local authorities, ministers are also consulting on bringing in a deposit return scheme for drinks, bottles and cans, as well as a tax on plastic packaging with less than 30 per cent recycled content.

Naveed - Mohammed - Resident - Small - Heath

Naveed Mohammed, 66, a resident of Small Heath, another area affected, said rubbish had been gathering on his street for weeks.

He added: 'If it's like this now, imagine what it's going to be like when the strike actually starts. I've seen rats and the smell is terrible.

'I - Children

'I have two young children and you...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Democrate or Republican, the difference is less than the thickness of a cigarette paper, or a slice of pastrami at a delicatesean.