Dawn of a new era for 'spit-and-send' DNA tests

Mail Online | 2/15/2019 | Joe Pinkstone For Mailonline
josh567 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/08/09/9529772-0-image-a-2_1549616407495.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/02/15/669556287625540219/1024x576_MP4_669556287625540219.mp4

DNA testing kits available for less than £100 ($130) can reveal ancestry, neanderthal heritage, undiscovered health and other genetic conditions.

Emerging tests also claim to be able to match your DNA to your favourite sushi, your future life partner and even how 'pure' your dog is.

Breed - Analysis - Kits - Promises - Changes

Now, a new breed of at-home 'spit-and-send' genetic analysis kits promises to track changes in the way your genes are expressed in response to your environment.

MailOnline wanted to find out if this new wave of tests, based on the emerging field of epigenetics, lives up to the hype.

Sample - Saliva - Firm - Muhdo - Biotech

So I sent a sample of my saliva to UK-based firm Muhdo, a biotech company that claims it can analyse my DNA and provide me with a comprehensive manual to understand and even manipulate my own genome.

They promised to be able to curate a custom nutrition and workout plan catered to my specific goals based only on what it detects deep in my DNA coding.

Muhdo - Epigenetics - Kits - Information - Individual

Muhdo launched one of the first at-home epigenetics kits, which it says can provide flexible and accurate information based on an individual's genetic expression.

It also says it can provide both nutritional and exercise advice tailored to the individual.

Promise - Self-awareness - Opportunity - Body - Adverts

The promise of increased self-awareness and the opportunity to learn more about my body sounds eerily familiar to the umpteen adverts promoting firms all vying for a sample of my spit.

Where epigenetics has the edge, is that results change based on diet, health and the environment.

Changes - Opportunity - Habits - Bud - Spot

Being able to monitor these changes provides the opportunity to nip bad habits in the bud and spot minor issues before they become major problems.

Nathan Berkley, Muhdo CEO, told MailOnline: 'When people hear about epigenetics, they think of a straightforward DNA test.

DNA - Tests - Snapshots - Blueprint - Epigenetics

'But DNA tests are snapshots of your past – your genetic blueprint. Epigenetics is about the future...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't touch that, you don't know where it's been.
Tagged: