Academy relents on Oscar categories plan

Screen | 2/15/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://d1nslcd7m2225b.cloudfront.net/Pictures/2000x2000fit/7%2F3%2F5%2F1297735_oscarstatuetteupdate_512481.jpg

Facing a growing tide of industry complaint over its plan to present four awards during ad breaks in this month’s Oscar broadcast, the US Academy has reversed its decision.

In a brief statement issued on Friday (15) after a meeting with representatives of the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) on Thursday (14) evening, the Academy board said: “The Academy has heard the feedback from its membership regarding the Oscar presentation of four awards - Cinematography, Film Editing, Live Action Short, and Makeup and Hairstyling. All Academy Awards will be presented without edits, in our traditional format. We look forward to Oscar Sunday, February 24.”

Reversal - Days - Academy - Defense - Decision

The reversal came two days after the Academy’s initial defense of its decision, under which awards in the four categories would have been slotted into the rest of the ceremony broadcast in edited form.

The defense had been prompted by the appearance of an open letter criticising the move signed by a number of industry talents.

Opposition - Move - Flurry - Statements - Addition

Opposition to the move had continued to mount, however, with a flurry of statements emerging and the addition of more industry names – including those of current Oscar contenders Bradley Cooper and Glenn Close - to the list of signatories of the open letter.

A statement from the Make-up and Hair Stylists Guild on Friday (before the Academy announced its reversal) had said guild members were...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Screen
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!