Jada Pinkett Smith and One Day at a Time’s Justina Machado Discuss White Privilege on Red Table Talk

PEOPLE.com | 2/15/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/jada-pinkett-smith-justina-machado.jpg?crop=0px,0px,1200px,630px&resize=1200,630

Jada Pinkett Smith and Justina Machado are getting real about white privilege.

In a PEOPLE exclusive clip of Monday’s new Red Table Talk episode, the One Day at a Time actress said she had difficulty relating to people who didn’t understand what white privilege was.

Somebody - Privilege - Machado

“Somebody once said to me, ‘I’m white and I don’t get white privilege. I don’t get that.’ I didn’t know how to answer that,” Machado, 46, said.

She continued, “All I could say was, ‘Well, could you walk into a store and do they ask you if you need help?’ Because I’ve certainly walked into stores before and they never asked me if I needed help. ‘Have you been followed in the store?’ They did that a lot in Chicago.”

Machado - Latino - Representation - Hollywood - PEOPLE

Machado has been outspoken about Latino representation in Hollywood, telling PEOPLE CHICA in February 2018, “We have to stop thinking that diversity is just black and white.”

“There is a whole lot in between. We have to start telling these stories the way these stories are really told. First off, we have to get the opportunities,” the Netflix star said. “You’d be amazed at how there are still no opportunities. It’s shameful and just like Gina [Rodriguez] said,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Government, where everything works great, until something has to work.