Mattel’s new Pictionary has us drawing in the air with AR

CNET | 2/15/2019 | Bridget Carey
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/7_pZh4eYg1KUlUNy7QPNFF9nQvQ=/724x407/2019/02/14/8a43a53f-dee5-4e82-9f1f-715f748c4bfc/pictionary-air-03.jpg

My secret talent is drawing shower caps in AR.

I'm moving a glowing stick over my head, trying to draw an imaginary shower cap. I really hope this is coming out like I imagine. Can Scott tell on his screen? He's guessing clouds. No, no, no. I pretend to scrub my armpits. Yes! He got it!

Pictionary - Paper - Thing - Past - Mattel

Playing Pictionary with paper is a thing of the past. Mattel reinvented the classic quick-draw game by using augmented reality, the term used when you blend digital special effects with the real world. This new version is Pictionary Air, and you use a light-up stick as your "pen" to draw doodles in the virtual space around you, while others guess your drawing.

The challenge is a bit different this time: You can't see your sketch. It's only visible with an app.

Game - June - Preview - Colleague - Scott

The game is scheduled to come out in June for about $20, and I got to play an early preview with my colleague Scott Stein. It was pretty addictive -- and equally important to note, it was simple enough for anyone to play.

Mattel is one of several toymakers tinkering with new ways that augmented reality and smartphone tech can enhance physical toys and games, with new concepts being showcased this weekend at the annual New York Toy Fair.

Past - Sven - Gerjets - Mattel - Technology

"It's very different than what we've done in the past," said Sven Gerjets, Mattel's chief technology officer. He's leading a new approach Mattel is taking to weave tech into toys. He calls it "mixed play" -- rather than have a kid stare at a screen, use the tech to get folks off the couch and encourage physical play.

No internet connection needed. No syncing anything. Just a box of cards, an app, and the light wand is all you need to play.

Pen

The light-up "pen" itself is pretty...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!