Student is charged with illegal wiretapping after 'he livestreamed chat with Congressman's aide'

Mail Online | 2/15/2019 | Lauren Fruen For Dailymail.com;Associated Press
kims (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/15/04/9846316-0-image-a-107_1550205255811.jpg

A student has been charged with illegal wiretapping after he allegedly livestreamed a conversation with a Maryland congressman's aide on Facebook.

Jake Burdett, 20, is accused of recording the staffer and distributing the footage without their consent.

State - Prosecutor - Emmet - Davitt - Charge

State Prosecutor Emmet Davitt announced the charge against the Salisbury University student Thursday.

Prosecutors say Burdett, an advocate for Maryland Marijuana Justice, took part in a rally in front of Rep. Andy Harris' office in Salisbury in October. He and others then met with a member of the congressman's staff in his office.

Harris - Staff - Group - Meeting - Office

Harris' staff told the group not to record the meeting, citing office policy, but prosecutors say Burdett recorded and streamed it on Facebook Live without the staffer's consent.

He is now charged with illegally recording the staffer and distributing it. The law in Maryland states that both parties must consent to the recording of a conversation.

'We - People - Boundaries - Maryland - Laws

'We need to ensure people are respecting boundaries set by Maryland's wiretapping laws,' said State Prosecutor Emmet Davitt.

But in an email Burdett argued he was not aware of the law, The Baltimore Sun reports. He claims to have deleted the recording as soon as he was made aware.

Sort - Thing - Time - Maryland - Someone

And he also wrote: 'This sort of thing happens all the time in Maryland, but it is very rare for someone to actually press charges about it, and it saddens me that Rep. Harris has decided to needlessly drop the hammer to make an example out of me...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!