Lego: Hidden Side is like a tiny AR Ghostbusters escape room

CNET | 2/14/2019 | Scott Stein
Coraav (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/yXOrj3KyCSm3PXZ-nXi-WKntQxA=/724x407/2019/02/13/c01ad88e-8052-4b2c-b84a-4f7552f1bcca/lego-hidden-side-1.jpg

I'm looking at a Lego brick construction sitting on our office table and I don't know what to make of it. It's an old mansionlike building that feels Harry Potter-esque. The building's sides bend down, windows flip open and now it's a snarling beast. I'm handed a phone, and I aim an app at the bricks. I see virtual ghosts start to appear, blending with the physical bricks. This now fits the synopsis Lego handed me:

"Jack and Parker are teenage bloggers who attend Newbury High School. Through an app on their mobile phones, they can see the unseen -- and in this case, Newbury is overrun with ghosts!"

Spooky - School

Spooky school.

Lego: Hidden Side isn't the first augmented-reality-enabled construction set Lego's made, but it's the first line designed to work with AR from the ground up. The sets tell a tale about a haunted world where ghosts lurk, and it's a self-contained story world like Ninjago or Nexo Knights. The sets will cost between $20 and $130 when they arrive later this summer. Converted, that's about £15 to £100 or AU$30 to AU$180.

Lego - Hidden - Side - Feels - Reality

Watch this: Lego Hidden Side feels like an augmented reality haunted...

An AR-equipped phone app finds the ghosts in the set and sucks them up, collecting them like Pokemon. The kits feel like little movie sets, where the game plays out via augmented-reality characters that appear on the tiny stages. You don't technically need to use the phone app to put Hidden Side sets together, but the extra gameplay and missions are a big part of the package. Lego promises a number of unfolding puzzle challenges in each set, and a possibility of new events that unfold over time.

Sets - Puzzles - Trigger - Events - Panel

Once the different sets are assembled, little hidden puzzles lurk inside that trigger events. Maybe a moving panel, or a treasure chest where a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!