MINNESOTA AG ELLISON SAYS PROSECUTING WEIGHTLIFTERS IS NOT PART OF HIS JURISDICTION

The Daily Caller | 2/14/2019 | Staff
marika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/RTX6H1C9-1-e1550073568927.jpg

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison declined Congresswoman Ilhan Omar’s request to have his office investigate USA Powerlifting for barring a transgender female from women’s events.

Omar sent a letter last week to Ellison.

Concern - Decision - USA - Powerlifting - Participation

“I am writing to express my concern over a recent decision by USA Powerlifting to bar participation by my constituent, Ms. Jaycee Cooper, because she is transgender,” the note reads. “While I do not have jurisdiction over this matter as a US Congresswoman, I am sending this letter to Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison with a recommendation that he investigate this discriminatory behavior.”

In the appeal, Omar claimed that USA Powerlifting’s decision violated the Minnesota Human Rights Act.

Ellison - Omar - Sentiment - Email - Daily

While Ellison agreed with Omar’s sentiment, he also stated, in an email to The Daily Caller, that he has no jurisdiction to investigate.

“Discrimination against transgender people is wrong and abhorrent,” Ellison said. “The best remedy available to Ms. Cooper under Minnesota’s Human Rights Act is to file a complaint with the Minnesota Department of Human Rights. Whether the Attorney General could directly take on a case like this is untested.”

Christine - DuFour - Director - Communications - Community

Christine DuFour, the director of communications and community relations for the Minnesota Department of Human Rights (MDHR), agreed with Ellison’s assessment.

“I can confirm the jurisdictional issue,” DuFour said.

DuFour - Complaint

DuFour said a complaint can...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Caller
Wake Up To Breaking News!