Kansas teen who walked on invasive life support machine dies after returning home

Mail Online | 2/13/2019 | Emily Crane For Dailymail.com
echolea (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/13/17/9777698-0-image-a-34_1550079660752.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/03/21/8341272821829252926/1024x576_MP4_8341272821829252926.mp4

A Kansas teenager who miraculously walked in hospital while she was attached to an invasive life support machine has died just two weeks after returning home.

Zei Uwadia, 17, spent for 457 days in the Children's Mercy hospital in Kansas City after suffering a mystery lung illness.

Teenager - Year - Expectations - Recovery - Family

The teenager, who spent more than a year defying medical expectations for her recovery, was finally able to return to her family home in Wichita at the end of January.

Zei tragically died on Monday night.

Battle - Tonight - Home - Bed - Arms

'Zei won her battle with the universe tonight at 7.54pm, at home, in her bed, in my arms,' her mother Brie Kerschen posted on Facebook.

'On behalf of the countless doctors, nurses and staff who cared for Zei and were inspired daily by her fighting spirit, all of us at Children's Mercy were heartbroken to learn of her passing,' the hospital said in a statement.

Thoughts - Family - Friends - Everyone

'Our thoughts are with her family and friends and everyone who loved her.'

The teenager made headlines last year after becoming the first patient at the hospital to walk around while still tethered to a breathing machine known as the 'highest form of life support'.

Zei - Membrane - Oxygenation - ECMO - Machine

Zei was put on the extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) machine in November 2017 when her lungs first started to fail and she was left gasping for air.

Doctors were never able to determine what caused the teenager's medical condition.

Zei - Clock - Care - ECMO - Machine

Zei required around the clock care because the ECMO machine bypassed her lungs by removing her blood, oxygenating it and then pumping it back into her body.

The average time a patient spends on ECMO is about 21 days. Zei was hooked up to the machine for 190 days.

Zei - Strength - Months

Zei started gaining her strength back just months after being hospitalized and was able to sit up and eventually stand on her own....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Appeasement - when you're what's for dinner!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!