‘West of Liberty’ Producers Discuss ITV-Sold Berlin Drama Series Days Player

Variety | 2/13/2019 | Jamie Lang
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/west-of-liberty-7-min.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Based on Thomas Engström’s best-selling series of books, Swedish-German series “West of Liberty” hopes to impress at this year’s Berlinale Drama Series Days.

Directed by Barbara Eder, the series was co-created by Sara Heldt and Gunnar Carlsson, with Heldt co-writing alongside Donna Sharpe.

ITV - Studios - Global - Entertainment - Series

Sold by ITV Studios Global Entertainment, the series’ six episodes turn on Ludwig Licht (Wotan Wilke Möhring), a retired secret service agent who now runs a bar in Berlin. Contacted by his former bosses, he begins working on the case of a corrupt whistle-blower at the fictional website Hydraleaks.

The series stars three time German Television Award nominee and one time winner Wilke Möhring, “Dunkirk’s” Mathew Marsh, “Babylon Berlin’s” Lars Eidinger and “Darling” lead Michelle Meadows.

Liberty - Sweden - Anagram - Germany - Network

“West of Liberty” is produced by Sweden’s Anagram and Germany’s Network Movie. It’s scheduled to debut later this year on ZDF in Germany and SVT in Sweden.

“When I visited the set in Bonn last year, I was really impressed, but nothing could have prepared me for the end result,” said Engström after binging Season 1. “I find myself biting my fingernails while watching, even though I know pretty much where the story is going; and it’s all because of the superb details you guys have put in.”

Daniel - Radcliffe - Prayers - Workers

Daniel Radcliffe on Answering Prayers in 'Miracle Workers'

“I was a bit afraid,” he continued, “That a lot of the ‘good stuff’ would be eliminated throughout, as a matter of storytelling efficiency. But none of my fears have come to pass. They have made the story and the characters better, more gripping and more fascinating than I could ever have hoped.”

Variety - Series - Co-creator - Producer - Gunnar

Variety talked with series co-creator and producer Gunnar Carlsson and producer Bettina Wente about adapting the popular literary series to the small screen, matching the seasons to the books, and adding something to it to keep book-readers guessing.

“West of Liberty”...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Have you forgotten?