The Heartwarming Story of Princess Diana and Elton John's Friendship

POPSUGAR Celebrity | 2/12/2019 | Amanda Prahl
Click For Photo: https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/csFc4ANaS8C3JyFBvPFTGEjx3rk/fit-in/1200x630/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-:fill-!white!-/2019/02/12/998/n/1922398/7ecdc5155c634f985b6c71.32172906_.jpg

Princess Diana's list of friends spanned royalty and celebrities alike. Out of all her friends, though, one of the figures who was always most closely associated with her was music superstar Elton John. Elton and Diana had a friendship that spanned decades and had its bumps in the road. While the princess rarely spoke about their friendship — or any of her friendships — in the press, Elton has spoken about her frequently and lovingly in the years since her death.

According to Indepedent.ie, Elton's relationship with the royals began long before Diana joined the family. Princess Margaret and the queen mother were both fans of his music, which put him on plenty of royal invite lists. In 1981, he finally met Diana herself. He recounted the meeting to his biographer Philip Norman for his biography Sir Elton: The Definitive Biography.

Prince - Andrew - Birthday - Party - Windsor

"[I was] playing for Prince Andrew's 21st birthday party at Windsor Castle. When I arrived, there was no one there but the dance band and Princess Diana. We danced the Charleston alone on the floor for 20 minutes." But they weren't alone for long: "Then Princess Anne came up to me and said, 'Would you like to dance?' What am I going to say — 'No, f*ck off?' We went into this disco where the music was so quiet, you could hardly hear it," he said. "As we're bobbing up and down, the Queen comes up with an equerry and says, 'Do you mind if we join you?' Just at that moment, the music segues into Bill Haley's 'Rock Around the Clock.' So I'm dancing to 'Rock Around the Clock' with the Queen of England."

From that point on, their friendship blossomed, with Elton even spending time with Diana's sons, Prince William and Prince Harry — relationships that continue to the present...
(Excerpt) Read more at: POPSUGAR Celebrity
Wake Up To Breaking News!