Esquire slammed for 'American Boy' cover story about a white teen during Black History Month

Mail Online | 2/12/2019 | Matthew Wright For Dailymail.com
marika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/12/21/9738320-0-image-a-68_1550005247504.jpg

Esquire Magazine is being blasted as tone-deaf for its latest issue's cover story devoted to the struggles of a white teenage boy, despite it being Black History Month.

Called 'An American Boy,' the men's magazine's March issue features an in-depth look into the life of Ryan Morgan, a 17-year-old from West Bend, Wisconsin.

Class - Male - Era - Media - School

'What it's like to grow up white, middle class, and male in the era of social media, school shootings, toxic masculinity, #MeToo, and a divided country,' the cover reads.

The profile details the 'struggles' that the high school senior faces as a Trump supporter. In the same issue a story titled 'Inside The Defense of Harvey Weinstein' is also teased on the cover.

Year - Magazine - 'I - Anything - Someone

'Last year was really bad,' he told the magazine. 'I couldn't say anything without pissing someone off.'

He later added: 'It ruined friendships and changed social groups. People were making friends based on their politics more than anything.'

Cover - Teen - Profile - Media - Cover

The cover and teen's profile were both critiqued heavily on social media, with many finding him and the cover to be lackluster.

'DONALD TRUMP HAS A 33% APPROVAL RATING WITH TEENAGERS SO PUTTING A TEENAGE TRUMP SUPPORTER ON YOUR S****Y A** MAGAZINE COVER IS NOT A 'TYPICAL AMERICAN' JESUS CHRIST,' said writer David Dennis Jr.

Raquel - Willis - 'If - Black - Queer

Raquel Willis added: 'If you're Black, queer, trans, a woman or any further marginalized you have to literally change the world before you become a cover star, but Esquire shows us that white cishet men and boys get to simply exist and be seen as worthy.

'Imagine the influence Esquire could've had by covering the experience of a 17 year old Black youth, preferably queer or trans,' asserted Dana Vivian White. 'There is no justifying covering the plight of the white cishet male of any age. We're overexposed to it and often fall victim...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!