Natasha Lyonne on Importance of ‘Quantum Consequences’ and Connection in ‘Russian Doll’

Variety | 2/12/2019 | Danielle Turchiano
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/natasha-lyonne-variety-facetime-interview.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Natasha Lyonne has worked as a child star (“Pee-wee’s Playhouse”), a teen star (“The Slums of Beverly Hills”) and of course as an adult (“Orange Is the New Black”), but her wealth of acting experience also fueled a desire to create. Teaming up with Amy Poehler and Leslye Headland, Lyonne executive produces and stars in “Russian Doll,” an eight-episode series about finding human connection after death that is streaming on Netflix.

How closely connected do you feel to your character of Nadia in “Russian Doll”?

Character - Nadia - Somebody - Sort - Reference

The character of Nadia is somebody who’s been sort of my, and I hate to use this reference because I’m somebody who’s pushing 40; I’m no longer a tween, but remember how [Charles] Bukowski always had Henry Chinaski? I always had Nadia in everything I would write, and it was based on Nadia Comaneci, who was my favorite gymnast from the ’80s. It was a name and a character who has been following me at attempts and stabs at writing for the better part of a decade. … And then, speaking as an actor, how incredible to get to craft a role from a lifetime of experience followed by three months in the writers’ room? Each moment on set, you know exactly why you’re doing the things you’re doing. By the time we stepped on set, Nadia is not me, and her life is not my life. As much as any of us draw on personal things in the arts, I knew who that person was and why she was making the choices she was making on a deep, deep level, even from things that had been omitted.

What did you want Charlie Barnett as Alan to bring that would be different from Nadia?

Alan - Journey - Nadia - Heart - Nadia

Ultimately, Alan’s journey was to be able to hit at Nadia’s heart and Nadia to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!