Anonymous Oscar Ballot: A Documentarian Gives Best Picture and Director to ‘Roma’

IndieWire | 2/12/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/roma.jpg

As Oscar balloting opens on Tuesday morning, we’re launching our second annual series of six interviews with Academy voters from different branches for their candid thoughts on what got picked, overlooked, and overvalued this year.

Motion Picture of the Year

Ballot - Number - Matters - Favourite - Roma

I do think about the preferential ballot. I know how it works. You have to be very careful with your number one and two. That’s what really matters. Everything else doesn’t matter so much. I’m torn between “The Favourite” and “Roma,” of the pictures that are nominated. And I would probably choose “Roma.” It is a truly good movie.

There’s a chance that “Black Panther” will win. That will be an interesting test for the Academy. They’ve tried so hard to get big-grossing pictures a seat at the table. That’s a big picture that did gross a ton, it’s fun and entertaining, and directed by an indie director. What’s not to like?

Heat - Roma - Others - Chance

The heat on “Roma” has been so great, I don’t think any of the others have a chance.

“Green Book” in another era would have won everything. It’s a very conventional movie with two great performances. To some extent, in the way it’s directed, it cements racial stereotypes rather than upends them.

Picture - Academy - Vote - Categories - Everybody

Best Picture aside, I would recommend that the Academy erases the vote weighting for the other categories. I’m not convinced everybody sees every picture, and I’m not sure they are all qualified, that a production designer could sense the best-edited picture.

We should try to make sure everybody sees the films — and I don’t know how to force that. We should leave the final vote up to all Academy members. But we should slightly weight the votes inside the branch. Let everybody have a shot and vote for Best Picture and the acting categories. But let those inside the category have...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It had only one fault, it was useless.