INTERVIEW: AN ARTIST’S PERSPECTIVE ON THE FUTURE OF 3D IN MUSEUMS

3D Printing Industry | 2/12/2019 | Tia Vialva
trainman (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://3dprintingindustry.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Artist-1024x930.jpg

Click For Photo: https://3dprintingindustry.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Artist.jpg

Alice Martin is a conceptual artist interested in the way objects are presented in museums. 3D printing, 3D scanning and CAD are some of the tools Martin currently uses to create her work, and the idea of “remixing” is thoroughly explored. “As a contemporary artist,” she explains, “I’m mainly interested in an idea, a thought, which I then try to convey visually.”

One of the ideas Martin explores is the material culture of museums. Taking an institution like the British Museum as an example – its collection spans approximately 8 million objects, though only 80,000 (1% of the collection) are on public display at any single time (not counting the 80,000 Rosetta Stone replicas in the museum’s gift shop). One of the ways museums are trying to open up more of their collections is by exploring digital initiatives, making images and 3D models available online for anyone to access.

DESIRE - TO - RE-IMAGINE - THESE - ARTIFACTS

“I HAVE THE DESIRE TO RE-IMAGINE THESE ARTIFACTS FOR A NEW AUDIENCE WHO MAYBE HAVEN’T ENCOUNTERED THEM BEFORE.”

Ways of seeing old artifacts and 3D printing

Graduate - Gray - School - Art - Aberdeen

A graduate of Gray’s School of Art in Aberdeen, Martin currently resides in Stirlingshire. Here, Martin is also an active member of Glasgow’s The Locale artist collective that includes exhibiting at Cass Art and The Glad Cafe. One of her most recent projects, titled Copy in Context, was hosted by GENERATOR Projects in Dundee. In this piece, Martin displays three vases 3D printed in full color sandstone, and a further three that allow visitors to pick them up and inspect them.

“With Copy on Context,” she explains, “I wanted to explore how museums share information and how open minded their approaches are, through the use of a new media.”

Object - Focus - Epichysis - Vessel - Rites

The object of particular focus was a Epichysis, used as a vessel in burial rites of Ancient Greece. The model for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: 3D Printing Industry
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Why do democrats never have to face the reality of what's on the ground, like 2000 years of marriage.