How to Block Emails on Your iPhone: 3 Methods to Know About

MakeUseOf | 2/12/2019 | Tim Brookes
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://static.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/block-emails-iphone-994x400.jpg

There are many legitimate reasons to block an email sender. Maybe they’re a pesky scammer, perhaps they keep sending you irrelevant press releases, or maybe they’re an old acquaintance you just don’t want to deal with anymore.

Unfortunately, blocking an email address on your iOS device—be it the iPhone or iPad—isn’t quite as straightforward as you’d like it to be. That’s probably why you had to search the web for an answer, and why you’re here now.

Help - Hand - Look - Emails - IPhone

Fortunately, help is at hand. Let’s take a look at how to block emails on your iPhone.

Why Can’t I Block Using Mail?

Apple - Mail - App - Client - Email

Apple’s Mail app is a basic but useful email client. It’s designed with multiple email providers in mind, so there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to mail blocking. The way each email provider handles this feature is different, so you can’t block senders simply by swiping or tapping a button in the app.

For this reason, it’s best to think of Mail as an interface for your mail provider rather than an extension of the service itself. Blocking a contact on your iPhone won’t necessarily prevent them from reaching you by email, even if you have their email address listed in the contact information. Blocking in iOS only affects phone calls, FaceTime, and messages.

Phone - Number - Your - IPhone

How to Block a Phone Number on Your iPhone

You can block a number from any one of three apps: Phone, FaceTime, or Messages.

Email - Apps - Limitations - Service - Provider

Other email apps will run into the same limitations unless they’re developed by your service provider. If you have multiple email accounts, you may end up with multiple email apps on your device for this reason.

Most email filtering takes place on the server. Rather than letting the email reach your inbox then redirecting it elsewhere, mail providers prevent the message from ever reaching the inbox by catching it as soon as...
(Excerpt) Read more at: MakeUseOf
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep