Epileptic boy, 13, gets his first legal dose of medical cannabis in the UK

Mail Online | 2/10/2019 | Brendan Mcfadden For Mailonline
ziggy1023 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/10/18/9632516-0-image-a-16_1549824905678.jpg

A 13-year-old epileptic boy whose case led to the legalisation of medical cannabis in Britain has been given his first legal dose the country.

Billy Caldwell and his mother, Charlotte, from Castlederg, Co Tyrone, returned from three months in 'exile' in Canada yesterday.

Britain - November - Doctor - Cannabis

They were forced to leave Britain in November because they were unable to find a doctor willing to prescribe medical cannabis - despite it now being legal.

The pair landed at Heathrow Airport and pick up the cannabis from a pharmacy in Surrey after being prescribed it by a doctor who was told by the Department of Health it was okay to write a prescription for the medicine.

Medicine - Billy - Epilepsy

Since taking the medicine, Billy who suffers from severe epilepsy, has been almost fit-free.

An overjoyed Mrs Caldwell told The Times: 'I scoured the UK and Ireland for doctors who would dot this. I have lost count of how many emails I sent and phone calls I made. I'd be there in Canada [sending messages at at three or four in the morning because of the time difference.

Bit - Jail

'I'm a wee bit emotional, it feels like I am getting out of jail.'

Mrs Caldwell, who paid for the prescription, said Billy would probably be the first person since NHS reforms to be prescribed the medicine on the NHS.

Billy - Medicine

She added the Billy would die without taking the medicine.

Billy was given one NHS prescription for cannabis in 2017 - but the Home Office then banned his GP from giving him any more by the Home Office.

Summer - Family - Supply - Cannabis - Canada

Last summer, when the family tried to bring in a fresh supply of medicinal cannabis from Canada where it is legal - it was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It just doesn't get bettere than this...
Tagged: