NHS staff to team up with social media giants to make internet safer for children

Mail Online | 2/10/2019 | Henry Martin For Mailonline
Tanya9 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/10/18/9633234-0-image-a-22_1549824324038.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/01/27/3614674461574382781/1024x576_MP4_3614674461574382781.mp4

NHS medical staff will spearhead a new drive to take down self-harm content from social media.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has revealed plans to put together a team of senior doctors and nurses to oversee the removal of harmful material from online platforms such as Instagram.

Plans - Child - Psychologists - Health - Experts

Under the new plans, child psychologists and mental health experts will act as a 'referee' to help distinguish acceptable content from that which promotes suicide.

Mr Hancock told The Sun on Sunday he had given online giants two months to find a solution to the problem of material promoting self-harm on their platforms.

Paper - 'This - Whims - Media - Companies

He told the paper: 'This is far too important to be left to the whims of social media companies,' adding that 'all options are on the table', including strict new laws.

Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, recently agreed to ban all graphic content, such as self-cutting videos.

Health - Secretary - Comments - Death - Molly

The Health Secretary's comments come after the tragic death of 14-year-old Molly Russell, who is believed to have taken her own life after viewing material glorifying self-harm online.

Mr Hancock, a father-of-three, said Molly's actions could have been taken by one of his own children, and the news of the teenager's death deeply affected him.

Molly - Father - Ian - Russell - Instagram

He has invited Molly's father Ian Russell, who said Instagram could be partly to blame for the death of his daughter, to discuss what action he thinks the government should take.

Mr Hancock said: 'I felt like I could have been standing in his shoes when he was talking about his wife going upstairs and finding Molly. It really affected me deeply.

'This - Sort - Thing - Parents - Family

'This is the sort of thing that worries all parents. Molly came from a happy, loving family and had watched TV and packed her school bag as normal on the night she died.'

Mr Hancock, who was appointed Secretary of State for Health...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I love to post, but I never read the article!