Brave six-year-old girl rescues her toddler sister after the family's crashes into icy river

Mail Online | 11/1/2018 | Dailymail.com Reporter
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/07/21/9533354-0-image-a-30_1549576619656.jpg

A six-year-old girl from Canada is being hailed a hero for rescuing her little sister after their family car suddenly plunged into an icy river.

First grader Sophia Le Blanc, of Amherst, Nova Scotia, jumped into action when her family's car hit a guardrail, flew over an embankment and careened into the river on November 1.

Car - Seat - Sister - Elise - Brother

She was in the car strapped into the back seat with her two-year-old sister Elise and her four-year-old brother Ethan, who was knocked unconscious in the impact when the car splashed into the freezing water.

Instead of breaking down, Sophia sprung into action.

Valor - Act - Heroism - Award - Royal

And valor was so admirable she was honored with the Act of Heroism Award by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police force on January 16.

After the family's car flipped over, the vehicle quickly began to fill with water and the children were all stricken with fear and restrained into their car seats upside down.

Mommy - Car - Cuckoo - Road - River

'My mommy was driving and the car started going cuckoo on the road. We went right down into the river,' Sophia recalled.

'I was in the back seat and I was so wet. I could touch the roof,' she added.

Sophia - Mom - Candice - Hicks - Wrist

Sophia's mom Candice Hicks, 28, shattered her wrist in the incident but still managed to unbuckle her seat belt and tried to free Elise from her car seat.

After seeing her struggle, Sophia then unbuckled her own seat belt and successfully freed Elise from her restraint.

Sophia - Mother - Back - River - Riverbank

Sophia then climbed onto her mother's back and they waded together through the river to the riverbank to wave down a passing car.

'My mommy told me to climb the rocks and wave at a car to help us. I'm not allowed to talk to strangers but my mom said it was okay this time,' she said.

'We

'We were lucky because a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis