How to Train Your Dragon star on swapping dragons for horror

CNET | 2/7/2019 | Richard Trenholm
Nighty (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/oKzNfgjxYNmn7KJRncaquHQRi7U=/724x407/2018/12/20/3cbe10e6-f408-47d4-86d6-b4e314893a68/mv5bmzi3mtc2ndy4mv5bml5banbnxkftztgwndu3nti2njm-v1-sx1777-cr001777736-al.jpg

What do you do when you've spent the best part of a decade playing one of the most-loved characters in animation history? If you're How To Train Your Dragon star Jay Baruchel, you turn your focus to Canada, pop art horror, and maybe even a Canadian superhero.

Baruchel began voicing the young viking hero Hiccup in 2010's How to Train Your Dragon, and has done so ever since in two sequels and a TV show. The third and final film, the joyous How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World, is out now in the UK and opens in the US on 22 February.

Baruchel - Phone - Toronto - Decade - Hiccup

I caught up with Baruchel on the phone from Toronto to find out what he's going to do as nearly a decade of voicing Hiccup comes to an end, and to chat about the future of the Dragons franchise and why he's swapped Hollywood for his home in Canada.

Jay Baruchel with his How to Train Your Dragon co-star Toothless.

Elements - Dragons - Movies - Something - Director

Q: There are some fairly Canadian elements to the Dragons movies, right? Is that something you and director Dean DeBlois always intended?

Baruchel: They hired me and they hired Dean, we're both Canadian, and I don't know if it's just inevitable our sensibility or sense of humour weaves itself in there. It's been a secret mission of mine throughout these three films to weave in as much hoser as I can get away with. I worry when I say this the studios will hear and go, 'What the f---!' But they don't seem to have an issue with it. F--- it, the thing's out now!

Idea - Enduring

When you first started, in 2010, did you have any idea it would be this enduring?

Baruchel: Absolutely not. I was raised to be a 'don't count your chickens before they're hatched' type of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When will they ever learn?