Danish chef Kenneth Toft-Hansen wins prestigious Bocuse d'Or competition with help of 3D printing

3ders.org | 2/4/2019 | Staff
red815 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.3ders.org/images2019/danish-chef-kenneth-toft-hansen-wins-prestigious-bocuse-dor-competition-with-help-of-3d-printing-1.jpg

Danish star chef Kenneth Toft-Hansen used 3D printing to help him come first at the Bocuse d'Or chefs world championship in Lyon. Toft-Hansen is not new to mixing 3D printing with his culinary endeavors as he employed similar techniques when he competed last year at the European Championship in Turin.

The Danish Technological Institute helped Toft-Hansen produce the 3D printed molds so he could focus on the cooking. His dishes included elements of leaves and “Flora Danica,” a theme that references Danish flowers and plants. The appetizer was a shellfish mousse that required multiple mold pieces to come apart without breaking the delicate filigree, and “earthquake chips” and lifelike red beetroot flowers accompanied the main course. Only 3D printing allows the affordable fabrication of the intricate molds needed to produce such shapes.

Idea - Printing - Dishes - Fact - Expressions

“The idea of using 3D printing in the dishes originally came from the fact that we wanted to make natural expressions, and here it is cool in 3D printing that everything is possible. So if I can think of that, the Danish Technological Institute can do that, and that means that I can get even more personality into the courts. At the same time, the Danish Technological Institute has advised on how things can be done, and it has been a great help, as it has meant that I only have to think about the food while they are thinking of the finished solution,” said Toft-Hansen.

3D printing enables the production of organic shapes found in nature because interlocking molds for complex geometries can easily be 3D...
(Excerpt) Read more at: 3ders.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!