Trump on Pulling Troops From Afghanistan, Syria: ‘We’ve Got to Get Out of These Endless Wars’

CNS News | 2/3/2019 | Staff
LordLord (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/trump-cbsyt.jpg

(CNSNews.com) – President Trump has voiced his determination to get America out of “endless wars” like the one in Afghanistan, while making clear he wants to keep a military presence in Iraq, both to keep a watch on Iran and to have troops close at hand in the event terrorist groups rear their heads in the region.

In an interview aired Sunday, Trump told CBS’ “Face the Nation” the war in Afghanistan – launched in response to the 9/11 terror attacks – would later this year enter its 19th year, and the U.S. was spending $50 billion a year on the mission.

CBS - Host - Margaret - Brennan - Taliban

Asked by CBS host Margaret Brennan whether he could trust the Taliban and could broker a peace deal with the fundamentalist group, Trump said, “I think they’re tired. And I think everybody’s tired. We’ve got to get out of these endless wars and bring our folks back home.”

He also reaffirmed his decision to withdraw the roughly 2,000 U.S. troops stationed in Syria, where they’ve been supporting Kurdish and Arab partners in the fight against ISIS.

Concern

“Doesn’t that concern you?” she asked.

“I ran against 17 Republicans [in the 2016 presidential primaries],” Trump replied. “This was a big part of what I was saying – and I won very easily.”

Use - Word - War - Afghanistan - Attention

He questioned the use of the word “precipitous,” noting how long the war in Afghanistan has been underway, and drawing attention to the cost in physical and mental trauma to U.S. military personnel.

“They come back and they are totally different people, where the wives and the fathers and the mothers say, ‘What has happened to my son? What has happened (in some cases) to my daughter?’ It’s a terrible thing.”

Years - Time - Taliban - Peace - Everybody

“We’ve been there close to 19 years. And it’s time. And we'll see what happens with the Taliban. They want peace. They’re tired. Everybody’s tired,”...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Warum denn nicht?