Romomania Hits the Super Bowl

The Ringer | 1/31/2019 | Bryan Curtis
moni (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/YP869SboELk9uGPMh6PNPzFC3pI=/0x0:3884x2034/fit-in/1200x630/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/13728490/tony_romo_2_feature.jpg

I’m way too young for Beatlemania. But today I’m wearing the self-satisfied smile of a baby boomer. Because I was at the Super Bowl in Atlanta for Romomania. Years from now, I’ll tell stories about this week to bore my grandkids to tears.

Romomania almost makes writing about the lives of sports announcers seem like a legitimate line of work. For the first time in memory, a TV announcer burst out of the little box on the Super Bowl Wikipedia page and became a story line in and of himself. In Atlanta, Romo is a top-five interview “get,” behind Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and (maybe) one or two of the Rams. Romo, it is said, will be the subject of a free-agent bidding war between networks—and that’s if an NFL team doesn’t hire him as their head coach first.

Super - Bowl - Reporters - Announcers - Quotes

At the Super Bowl, reporters usually ask announcers for quotes about the game. At the CBS press event on Tuesday, reporters asked announcers for quotes about Romo. Mr. Nantz, what’s it like to work mere feet from the all-knowing deity? For his part, Romo stood on stage in a crisp baby-blue suit with white sneakers. Prodded by reporters, he agreed to dust off his “Romostradamus” act—his predictive powers.

The final score of the Super Bowl would be 28-24, Romo predicted. He added, “And I think the team that has 24 has the ball at the end and they don’t score.”

Stage - Romo - Performance - Phil - Simms

Standing on stage almost directly behind Romo during this performance was Phil Simms. Simms used to have Romo’s job as CBS’s no. 1 analyst. Two years ago, when CBS signed Romo, the network evicted Simms to the pregame show. As CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus praised Romo, Simms watched with a tight-lipped nonsmile.

In taking stock of Romomania, you have to appreciate the irony. In 2016,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Ringer
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: