Without Any Confirmation, MSNBC Promotes Claim Chicago Attackers Wore MAGA Hats

NewsBusters | 1/29/2019 | Staff
adele2234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/2019-01-29-msnbc-live-smollettattackmagahats.jpg

Empire star Jesse Smollett was brutally attacked early Tuesday morning in Chicago in what police have suggested could be deemed a hate crime due to Smollett being gay and the assailants allegedly hurling homophobic and racist slurs.

However, one such claim that has not yet been substantiated was the notion that the alleged perpetrators either wore Make America Great Again (MAGA) hats or shouted “this is MAGA country” to Smollett as he was beaten, doused in bleach, and had a noose tied around his neck. Despite that, the 1:00 p.m. Eastern edition of MSNBC Live mentioned it anyway.

Co-hosts - Stephanie - Ruhle - Story - Attack

Co-hosts Stephanie Ruhle appropriately called it a “horrible” story and “terrible attack” “to report.” National correspondent Miguel Almaguer agreed, noting the attack’s “disturbing” nature, but then provided the MAGA hat detail about the alleged perpetrators even though he wasn’t sure of its validity.

“Certainly, there are many indications of a hate crime here. They are looking for two suspects who were apparently wearing Make America Great Again hats, although that has not yet been officially confirmed. There's been no detail description on the suspects,” Almaguer stated.

Almaguer - Smollett - Condition - Description - Hour

Almaguer reiterated that Smollett “is in good and stable condition” but, unfortunately, he didn’t have a description at that hour to share with viewers.

He then added: “So, one thing investigators will likely look at is any surveillance video in the area. They have not released any leads on that so far, but clearly, multiple investigators from several different departments at Chicago PD are all working on this.”

Ruhle - Credit - Viewers - Segment - NBC

To Ruhle’s credit, she made clear to viewers before moving on with the segment to NBC News legal analyst Danny Cevallos: “I’m just looking at our notes. I don't know that NBC has confirmed that they were specifically wearing those hats. I believe it's been reported. I don't believe that NBC's been...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!