Watch: Protesters at California Community College Mock Woman as She Recites Pledge of Allegiance

Breitbart | 1/29/2019 | Staff
JimmyJoe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2019/01/womanholdsflag.jpg

Celeste Barber fought back when Santa Barbara Community College (SBCC) banned the Pledge of Allegiance from its public meetings by reciting it at a meeting last week where she was mocked to the point of tears.

SBCC Board of Trustees President Robert Miller recently removed the pledge from public meeting agendas and when Barber wrote an email objecting, Miller responded with a scathing rebuke of the American tradition of honoring flag and country because it “has a history steeped in expressions of nativism and white nationalism” and referred to another who described it as expressing “bigotry.”

Email - Barber - Breitbart - News - Miller

In an email to Barber, provided to Breitbart News, Miller allegedly wrote, in part:

I decided to discontinue use of the Pledge of Allegiance for reasons related to its history and symbolism. Our flag is a powerful symbol of freedom and our system of government, but I prefer to pledge allegiance to our constitution, instead of a physical object. Indeed, when sworn in, each Trustee takes an oath to support and defend the U.S. and California constitutions.

Phrase - Nation - God - First - Amendment

I also object to the phrase “one nation under God.” The First Amendment not only protects freedom of speech and religion, it also expressly prohibits laws that establish a religion. The U.S. Supreme Court has expressly extended those rights to those who express no belief in God. Thus, I disagree with the 1955 act of Congress to add this phrase to the Pledge of Allegiance.

Moreover, I have discovered that the Pledge of Allegiance has a history steeped in expressions of nativism and white nationalism. The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1890 by Francis Bellamy, a former Baptist minister.

Reasons - Reaction - Numbers - Immigrants - United

Among other reasons, he wrote it in reaction to the increasing numbers of immigrants entering the United States in the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!