Is it safe to lift weights while pregnant?

Popular Science | 1/28/2019 | Staff
kringkring (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci.com/files/styles/opengraph_1_91x1/public/images/2019/01/pregnant_lift_weights.jpg?itok=xFDnYY5P

Click For Photo: https://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci.com/files/styles/655_1x_/public/images/2019/01/pregnant_lift_weights.jpg?itok=jiOxTeVg

Whether or not you’ve resolved to get into shape this January, Muscle Month is here to teach you a thing or two about stretching, contracting, lifting, tearing, gaining, and so much more.

Even in 2019, many of us still act like pregnancy is practically a disability. Anyone in that condition should take it easy, eat plenty of food, and generally avoid doing anything that might be even remotely construed as interfering with the body’s ability to grow a human being. For decades that advice also extended to exercise in all forms. The prevailing thought was that it was better to rest than to over-exert yourself. But plenty of expectant parents want to maintain their workout regimen as much as possible when they’re pregnant, and they want to do it safely.

Lot - Research - Cases - Analyses - Physicians

Unfortunately, there’s not a lot of research to rely on—and what little there is has, in many cases, been overturned by more recent analyses. Yet there are still plenty of physicians who confidently proclaim that a pregnant person can’t lift more than 15 pounds safely. “I had my first son five years ago and I have my grad degree in coaching and exercise science, and I just felt like, ‘how do I know nothing about this?’ If someone would have known, it would be me,” says Brianna Battles, a coach and now-expert in training pregnant people. “There was no information about women’s health as it pertained to pregnancy or postpartum, and for athletes in particular. I’m not going to use pink dumbbells and do yoga. It made me so upset.” Today, she runs a certification program supported by the National Strength and Conditioning Association for trainers to learn how to handle pregnant clients safely.

We consulted Battles along with some other experts to figure out how you can stay active without putting a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Popular Science
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If the Government could just stop...
Tagged: