Arrow's David Ramsey Promises Diggle Is Alive and Well in the Future

TVGuide.com | 1/28/2019 | Lindsay MacDonald
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2019/01/28/36df0ad6-938c-4ebb-a343-caf4e483c5d1/thumbnail/1300x867/7203197760a59bb18f2550108a278b16/190127-david-ramsey-arrow-hplg.jpg

One of the best things about a show being on the air for years and years is that eventually cast members who have directorial aspirations often get to take a swing behind the camera for an episode. This year, Arrow bestowed that honor on David Ramsey.

Actors breaking into directing is nothing new, but when you've got seven years of stellar stunts and mind-boggling action sequences to live up to, it's still a pretty daunting mountain to climb. Or so Ramsey told TV Guide when we talked to him about his directorial debut.

Rest - Cast - Writers - Director - Chair

How did you and the rest of the cast and writers adjust to you shifting into the director's chair?

David Ramsey: Arrow, it's a huge action show at its core. Right? But, it's all about story. Every episode is about story, it doesn't matter what show it is and that's the reason why shows are successful. It really is about story and characters. ... [Showrunner] Beth Schwartz really allowed me to work really hard with the beats on this script and just to get some of the storytelling where we all thought it should be. They were really fantastic. They were really great and they really allowed me to tell the story. I can't speak well-enough on how everything just kind of fell in line from every department to the actors. A lot of times you worry about actors really respecting you as a coworker... and there was none of that. It was just really a very easy experience in that regard.

Time - Camera - Episode - Diggle - Week

Given that you had to spend so much time behind the camera in this episode, will we be seeing less of Diggle this week?

Ramsey: Well, that's a strange thing, right? Because my first day directing — now when I say the first day, I mean the very first scene...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!