Rent's Brandon Victor Dixon: Collins' Mournful 'I'll Cover You' Reprise Proves Love Is 'Worth the Cost'

TVLine | 1/27/2019 | Kimberly Roots
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/rent-live-ill-cover-you-reprise-2.png?w=622

A good number of people watching Fox’s Rent Live Sunday will be so familiar with the music and lyrics that they’d fit right in ordering at the Life Café or mooing in the crowd at Maureen’s protest.

“But a lot won’t,” said Brandon Victor Dixon, the Power alum who plays Tom Collins in the musical telecast. And those viewers are the ones he’s planning to keep in mind as Collins mourns Angel in the show’s reprise of “I’ll Cover You.”

Jonathan - Larson - Groundbreaking - Update - Puccini

For those unfamiliar with Jonathan Larson’s groundbreaking 1996 musical, it’s a loose update of Puccini’s La Boheme, only set in New York City’s Lower East Side in the 1990s. Collins, a philosophy professor with AIDS, falls in love with Angel, a drag queen with AIDS, and we watch their love bloom via songs like Act I’s upbeat “I’ll Cover You.” The tune is brought back later, albeit with a far more grave tone, after Angel succumbs to the disease in Act II.

“I’ve had to focus deeply on the words and why I’m saying it,” Dixon told TVLine in an interview earlier in January. “It’s really when he returns to that phrase ‘I have longed to discover something as true as this is.’ There’s a certain choice of words there. The longing....
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!