Landlord gets the blues after falling foul of planning rules when he repainted his 18th century pub

Mail Online | 1/27/2019 | James Billot For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/27/18/9051148-0-image-a-33_1548614978663.jpg

A landlord who painted his 18th century pub blue to make it look 'more sophisticated' has been ordered to change the colour - because it breaks planning laws.

Richard Belam, 46, and his wife Tracey, 48, took over the White Hind pub which had fallen into disrepair and become derelict.

Part - Pub - Makeover - Couple - £1

As part of the pub's makeover the couple spent more than £1,000 changing the previous cream colour to 'folk blue'.

But the new look landed Richard in hot water with planners in Newark, Nottingham, who say the colour is not in keeping with the area.

Grade - White - Hind - Pub - Dates

The Grade Two listed White Hind pub dates back to the 18th century and is located inside a conservation area in the town.

Mr Belam has been told he must apply for retrospective planning permission for the colour change but has been warned it is likely to fail.

'It - Potty - Pub - State - Glory

He said: 'It's potty. I bought the pub which was in a terrible state and decided to restore it back to its former glory.

'Because it is an old building and in the middle of the town the cream paint looks grimy and unpleasant and the fumes from traffic creates black streaks on the walls.

Wife - Colour - Pub - Look - 'folk

'My wife and I chose a neutral colour which we thought would make the pub look classy so opted for 'folk blue' from the B&Q masonry paint range.

'I'm shocked that the planners don't like it because it looks a **** of a lot better and much more sophisticated than the tatty cream it was before.'

White - Hind - Derelict

The White Hind was closed in 2001 and was derelict...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!