DP Patrick Sheehan on Always in Season, Shooting B-Roll in Darkness and Operating While Hidden

Filmmaker Magazine | 1/26/2019 | Filmmaker Staff
Click For Photo: https://filmmakermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/alwaysdp-628x348.jpg

by Filmmaker Staff

For her feature debut, Jacqueline Olive examines the death of Lennon Lacy, a black 17-year-old who was found hanging from a swing set in his North Carolina home town. Though his death was quickly ruled a suicide by the authorities, his mother, Claudia, was understandably suspicious, given America’s long, far from resolved history of racialized violence. Nashville-based DP Patrick Sheehan was brought onto the project after shooting had began, staying until the end of production. Via email, Sheehan discussed matching the look of his footage with what already existed, taking visual inspiration from Errol Morris and lighting B-roll despite generally preferring not to.

Filmmaker - How - Cinematographer - Film - Factors

Filmmaker: How and why did you wind up being the cinematographer of your film? What were the factors and attributes that led to your being hired for this job?

Sheehan: I came into the project a few years after it started, so a good bit had already been shot. I was living in Atlanta at the time and Jackie was looking for someone to shoot in that area. We immediately had a good chemistry and I guess my footage was good enough that she kept me on for the remainder of the project.

Filmmaker - Goals - Film - Cinematography - Film

Filmmaker: What were your artistic goals on this film, and how did you realize them? How did you want your cinematography to enhance the film’s storytelling and treatment of its characters?

Sheehan: Since I came into the film with a good bit already shot, I tried to find the balance between matching the cinema verite style that was already shot and, when appropriate, adding some more production elements. Jackie already had a lot of very good ideas about what she wanted and I tried to help her realize them. Up to the point that I came on the film, it was primarily very run-and-gun hand...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Filmmaker Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep