“It Was a Huge Relief to Find a Location”: Director Jacqueline Olive | Always in Season

Filmmaker Magazine | 1/26/2019 | Filmmaker Staff
Click For Photo: https://filmmakermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/46017877191_e0a8305e26_k-628x348.jpg

by Filmmaker Staff

Whenever directors watch their own films, they always do so with the knowledge that there are moments that occurred during their production — whether that’s in the financing and development or shooting or post — that required incredible ingenuity, skill, planning or just plain luck, but whose difficulty is invisible to most spectators. These are the moments directors are often the most proud of, and that pride comes with the knowledge that no one on the outside could ever properly appreciate what went into them.

Part - Film - Proud

So, we ask: “What hidden part of your film are you most privately proud of and why?”

The story of how I got the interview with Michelle Brimhall, Lennon [Lacy]’s ex-girlfriend, really speaks to how a lot of the elements that went into making Always in Season fell into place for me generally, not only because of how I approach my work and the fact that I have an incredible crew, but also for reasons completely out of my control. I learned that Michelle had moved out of state shortly after Lennon’s death. She’d told reporters that she was afraid to stay because she believed someone killed him. So, I researched and found five or six possible addresses for where she may have been living, almost a thousand miles away. They were all in a hundred mile radius, so I flew in and picked up a rental car to head out in an ice storm to find Michelle with a 24-hour turnaround. I’d been driving for about two hours when I was a little lost and decided to get directions at a gas station up ahead. As I was parking, I got an overwhelming feeling that someone might know Michelle, so I asked the cashier. It turned out she was related to her...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Filmmaker Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?