Motor Racing: Zanardi Looks Ahead With Realistic Expectations

www.oann.com | 10/19/2003 | Staff
k.collazi (Posted by) Level 3
(Reuters) – Despite having lost both his legs in a crash Alex Zanardi jokes that he has both feet firmly planted on the ground when it comes to expectations for this weekend’s 24 Hours of Daytona endurance race.

Back racing against some of motorsports very best 17 years after a horrific accident nearly cost him his life, Zanardi long ago removed the limits on what is possible.

Dreamer - Definition - Reality - Anything - Gravity

A dreamer with his own definition of reality, the 52-year-old appears not to be weighed down by anything other than gravity.

“We all have expectations but sometimes the greatest thing is to be surprised with what happens and to find out that it is quite different from the way you imagined it,” Zanardi told Reuters. “I try to, pardon the expression, stay with my feet on the ground.

Opportunity - Point - View - People - Expectations

“I know this is a great opportunity from a personal point of view but also where other people have expectations, they have invested a lot of resources, a lot of effort in preparing for this event.

“I am not in a hurry to cross that line because whenever that will be it will be the end of this chapter.”

Chapter - Zanardi - Story - September - Champ

The final chapter in Zanardi’s story appeared to have been written on September 15, 2001 at a Champ Car (now IndyCar) race at the Lausitzring in Germany when he lost control coming out of the pits and was speared by Canadian Alex Tagliani at close to 350 kph.

Zanardi’s race car disintegrated, the Italian, still strapped into the cockpit, was dying with both legs severed above the knee and blood streaming onto the track.

Safety - Crews - Effort - Hope - Zanardi

Safety crews went to work in a desperate effort to save him. There seemed little hope as Zanardi, who lost all but a liter of blood, went into cardiac arrest while being airlifted to a hospital and was given last...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a Government intervention.