Did 'The Big Bang Theory' Get the Science Right? A Lesson in Supersymmetry and Economy Class

Space.com | 1/24/2019 | Staff
madalina09madalina09 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://img.purch.com/h/1000/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA4Mi80NDUvb3JpZ2luYWwvYmlnLWJhbmctdGhlb3J5LXN1cGVyLWFzeW1tZXRyeS1OTy1SRVVTRS5qcGc=?&imgtype=.jpg

They say that life imitates art, but the arrow goes both ways. Far more often, art imitates life. That's what happened in a recent episode of the hit television show "The Big Bang Theory." In the episode — "The Confirmation Polarization" — Sheldon and Amy receive an email from Fermilab. Two scientists had confirmed Amy and Sheldon's theory called Super Asymmetry. The researchers were studying a subatomic particle called kaons and the measurement and prediction (how it should behave in theory) disagreed. They called their measurement a failure until they realized that Amy and Sheldon's paper, published only a few months prior, explained the discrepancy. The two researchers were flown (in economy plus…more on that later) to Caltech to meet Amy and Sheldon.

The Fermilab scientists are angling for a Nobel Prize and, because no more than three people can receive the prize, they are trying to cut Amy out of the picture. They tell Sheldon if he can get the President of Caltech to nominate the three of them for the Nobel, combined with the nomination from the head of Fermilab, they'd have a strong case for receiving the honor. Sheldon decides that if Amy isn't included on the nomination, that he doesn't want to be on it either and he tells that to the President, who explains how this will result in a fight with Fermilab; he adds that he has their back. The episode ends with the situation left unresolved.

Big - Bang - Theory - Lot - Writers

Let me start by saying that I like "The Big Bang Theory" a lot. And the writers try not to stray too far away from real science in their episodes. In fact, David Saltzberg of UCLA is both a research collaborator of mine and a scientific consultant for the show. He makes sure that the writers don't include any...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Space.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Does it ever seem that life has become one long rerun?