Seeing each other in the public square: The lessons of Covington Catholic

Religion News Service | 1/23/2019 | Staff
hoppers911 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/webRNS-March-Life1-012319.jpg

(RNS) — A Jesuit friend of mine is the president of St. George’s College, a Jesuit high school in Zimbabwe. He tells me that when African locals outside the urban areas meet each other along a path or roadway, one says “I see you” and the other replies “I am here.”

I see you, I am here. To be recognized, to be noticed. It means we are not alone. As far back as we can trace human history, women and men want to know they belong, that they have value, that they are seen. Don’t we all want to stand up sometimes and shout “I am here”? Notice me, recognize me for who I am. I am a man. I am a woman. I am here.

Problem - Everyone - Crazy - Family - Ours

The problem is that not everyone in this crazy, wonderful human family of ours sees all who are there. Not everyone wants to hear some others say “I am here, recognize me for who I am.”

So we call attention to those who are not seen, who don’t know they belong, who do not have a voice to stand up and shout “I am here.”

March - Life - Rally - National - Mall

That’s what the March for Life, the annual pro-life rally on the National Mall, is all about: that all be seen, recognized, noticed, and that all belong to our crazy and wonderful human family. All of us created in the image of God (“Male and female he created them and saw that it was very good”). All of us created in the image of God, from the baby in the womb to the dementia patient taking a last breath.

The March for Life calls attention to babies in the womb. On World Leprosy Day, Jan. 27, we might call attention to the diseased who do not have health care. We keep calling attention. We...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!