Kent Annan: What You Should Know About Refugees and Immigrants

ChurchLeaders | 1/23/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/CL_podcast_KentAnnan19_overlay.jpg

Kent Annan is director of humanitarian and disaster leadership at Wheaton College’s Humanitarian Disaster Institute and cofounder of Haiti Partners, a nonprofit focused on education in Haiti. He also serves on the board of directors of the Equitas Group, a philanthropic foundation focused on ending child exploitation in Haiti and Southeast Asia. Kent received his MDiv from Princeton Theological Seminary. He has written a handful of books, including You Welcomed Me. He speaks regularly around the country and lives in Florida with his wife and two children.

– What are the common fears you observe in the United States concerning refugees and immigrants?

Lessons - Countries - Refugees

– What lessons can we learn from other countries that have received more refugees than we have?

– From your research, do refugees and immigrants help or hurt the nations that welcome them?

Church - Picture - Immigration

– What can the local church do to help the big picture of immigration?

“Our fear is being stoked about the foreigner.”

Refugee - Act - Attack - Refugee - Life

“The Refugee Act was passed in 1980 and since 1980 there’s not been a single terrorist attack by a refugee that resulted in American life lost.”

“Neighborhoods where there’s a large immigrant population actually have less crime statistically throughout the country than neighborhoods that don’t have any immigrant in them.”

Security - Kind - Idol

“I think security can become a kind of idol.”

“If we build up walls and protections around us to keep the stranger out, then I think, according to what Jesus says, we’re keeping Jesus out [Matthew 25].”

Refugees - System

“When we welcome refugees, when we use a system that’s been...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!